Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Never take context out of the picture! or A quote out of context...

Any word you have to hunt for in a thesaurus is the wrong word. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- Stephen King

I was looking for a word today and actually still am... I still can't give a decent verb to express what happens when you bring a new methodology into this world.... Anyways, that's work...
Deadlines are marching and tasks are piling up (check out yesterday for details) so I turn to a colleague of mine for help. With a sneaky smile he shows me a randomly displayed quote that I just placed here.

Stephen King indeed said that, in fact, wrote. A very 'down to the point' piece called "Everything You Need to Know About Writing Successfully: in Ten Minutes".
The article looks sarcastically American (...in Ten Minutes) and unmistakenly universal. Twelve simple rules that become gigantically powerful when you think them through and open yourself up to accept them instead of arguing. In my schematic mind they fall into a spectrum to balance each other and to bring into its center a gifted you... or you, or... maybe even you. The rules that give freedom to the writer-to-be and set up a frame to fit in. No big promises, but those given are barely seen behind the series of Do's and Dont's.

The quote that woke my curiosity is part of rule #5 - Never look at a reference book while doing a first draft.

The good thing about tomorrow is that my draft will have been reviewed and I will be entitled to look up some dictionaries...

No comments:

Post a Comment